A very popular web development platform with (almost) unlimited plug-ins …
WordPress is a free and open-source content management system (CMS) based on PHP and MySQL. It is a web template system using a template processor, extended and customized by the user with free/low-cost “themes” and “plugins” available at WordPress.org and from numerous 3rd-party developers. WordPress is currently used in @ 35% of all new websites.
Themes and plug-ins range from basic (mostly free) to very complex (usually for a nominal cost). My personal rules for evaluating themes and plug-ins I might consider using are:
- They should have been downloaded and actively installed by a “reasonable” number of users. This usually tells me that the “world” finds it useful and the vendor is more likely to continue to maintain and enhance it.
- It shows a “fairly recent” last update and “compatibility” to a recent WordPress release. This tells me the vendor is still actively maintaining (and possibly enhancing) it, which bodes well for bugs getting fixed in a timely manner.
Themes come with a wide variety of built-in functionality and plug-ins. Some additional plug-ins you may want to consider includes:
- TinyMCE Advanced – enables the advanced features of TinyMCE, the WordPress WYSIWYG editor. The basic editor in Word Press is just that – BASIC – oriented more to creating simple textual blog entries than to a more graphical web page development.
- UpdraftPlus WordPress Backup Plugin – supports manual & automatic backup to both the local server and one or more cloud locations. (The free version will probably be all you need)
- Yoast SEO – Probably the most popular all-in-one SEO solution for WordPress, including on-page content analysis, XML sitemaps and much more. (The free version will meet most of your needs.)
- Call Now Button – This plugin places a Call Now button (click-to-call) to the bottom of the screen which is only visible for your mobile visitors.
- Soloquey Lite – photo slider
- Mail Poet Newsletter – newsletter creation/management
- Word Fence – security
- Fast Secure Contact Form –
- Disable Comments –
- The Events Calendar –